Sunday, May 9, 2010

Treeco Tree: Empanaditas de Guayaba


Since I learned this recipe directly from my mother, and today is Mother's Day, I thought I would share this story with you.

We arrived in this country in the summer of 1962. One night in late October there was a knock at our door. My mother opened the door to find two boys, dirty and shoeless with their begging hands extended. She quickly ran into the kitchen and retrieved some slices of bread which she tearfully handed to them, blessing them in Spanish and explaining it was all she had to give. Then she sat at the kitchen table to cry.
What's wrong with you, my teenage uncle asked?
I didn't know that in this country there was such misery and hunger. Those poor boys!, my mother bawled.
What? …  They're in costume. It's Halloween!

This was new information to absorb. What concept was this? Children going door to door begging for food? The holiday was explained to her by those who had come years earlier. The next year, my mother was prepared. She baked for several hours the night before and wrapped each Empanadita de Guayaba in aluminum foil.

A couple years later when my sister and I were old enough, my grandmother would walk us from house to house,  Now remember, she taught us,  when the door opens you say the magic words "Treeco Tree Alloween!" Years later we realized the magic words were "Trick or Treat Halloween;" nevertheless, be they in English or Spanglish, we never got a treat as good as our mother's Empanaditas de Guayaba.

The ingredients for this recipe are few, but it is time consuming. You have been warned.

8 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter or margarine (please note, I had erroneous written 1 cup and have fixed it to 1/2, sorry for those of you who may have tried this with the wrong measurement, if it worked then yay! The picture is correct)
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
guava paste
1 egg beaten

Let the cream cheese and butter soften. Add the flour and mix together. Use your hands to knead into a ball and refrigerate for a couple of hours. It will be crumbly at first and you will think that I was off my rocker with the measurements, but keep kneading it, it will come together.
Cut up the guava paste into small pieces. (If you've never heard of it or cannot find it where you are, then you can Americanize this recipe with any other kind of fruit paste or jam).


Take a small portion of your dough and roll it out on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of about  1/8 of an inch or thinner. I know you don't have a ruler in the kitchen and it is ridiculous to try to figure out, so thinner than pie dough will suffice. You can use a cookie cutter or a drinking glass will work well also to form round shapes. Place one piece of guava in the center and fold over. Press the edges closed with a fork. Repeat this process. Put a layer of egg wash over the top and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes (check on them, I don't use a timer and ovens are temperamental). Warning: Filling is hot! Let them cool before you try them.

12 comments:

  1. Yum, yum, yum!!!! I'll even forgive you for not posting a picture of the finished paleta roast! Send some empanaditas de guayaba my way, please... Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pedro look at the post that says Happy Mother's Day. The finished pork roast is there. The empanaditas flew. Gone. They were yum! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these. I have been sending guava paste to all my friends who can't find it where they live. It's everywhere here, even Walmart! I also use puff pastry and make guava cream cheese turnovers, or one large square dessert! Yum!

    I like how you posted the first part of the roast, then we had to check out the rest of it the next day! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pedro, sometimes my brain doesn't grasp the technology. I moved the finished roast to the post with the preparation. I forget that people may look at just a post and not the whole blog. I fixed it. Now you can salivate. Smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! Lyndsey, while you were writing the comment I was moving the picture. I guess when someone does a search, they should be able to find it all in the same place. Thanks for following the "lost" pork.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my goodness! Growing up we had this Panaderia Cubana at the corner of my block. My mom and I would go to get pastelitos like every other day...mmmmm, pastelitos de guayaba were my favorite! I've made some before, but with the Goya Discos and my own concoction of guava paste and cream cheese. But now, I absolutely HAVE to make yours! Se me hace agua la boca!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sharline, this masa is much better for sweet empanadas than the Goya Discos. (I use those for fried meat empanadas which I will post soon.) However, for pastelitos like the ones they make in the bakery you can use the Pepperidge Farm puff pastry sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Que rico, you know in my family we make this thing we call "Frituritas de Guayaba con Queso" and we simply stuff wonton wrappers with guayaba and cream cheese and then deep-fry it. Sinfully good and simple

    I am curious and dying to try your empanadas however :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nathan, I have wonton wrappers in the freezer for the same purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm making these tomorrow for my boyfriends birthday but am so scared like the butter and cream cheese amount is way more than the flour. Like 8 oz. cream cheese is 1 cup, and 1 stick of the one's u used is 2 cups, but then your only using 1 3/4 cup flour.

    just want to confirm that the ratios are correct.

    did u pack the flour tightly or loosely scooped it?

    I will make it tomorrow but am scared lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry Nathan, I wrote it wrong I'm going to correct it now. Its is 8oz cream cheese but only 1/2 cup of butter. One stick = 1/2 cup (my mistake). The flour was loosely scooped, but when you roll the dough you have to flour your surface and it ends up absorbing more flour. Don't be afraid, you could just make half the recipe if you prefer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, and Happy Birthday to your boyfriend!

    ReplyDelete