Thursday, May 13, 2010

Pedro's cooking tip: White Rice



A tip for you and your readers:

If you want to make the tastiest white rice ever (and according to Nitza Villapol, this is the TRUE way of making white rice the Cuban way) do it like this:

ALWAYS use the proportion of 1 cup of dry rice to 1.5 cup of water.
Never rinse the rice if it's enriched and packaged. It's unnecessary and you will NEVER get the rice water to run completely clear completely... Anyway. Let's say you are making 2 cups of dry rice. Therefore, you need to measure 3 cups of water in a shallow flat-bottom pan (by shallow I mean with no steep high walls).
To the water add salt to taste, one large clove of garlic pressed, minced, sliced or however you like to cut it, but in very small pieces.
Add the juice of 1/2 lime (or lemon) to the water and let it come to a gentle boil.
Simmer for about 3 minutes. Add the dry rice and distribute evenly over the entire bottom of the pan making sure it's completely covered by the water.
Let it come to a boil again (about 1-2 minutes) and then reduce heat to a minimum ( my stove has 6 settings; at this point I turn it to setting number 2) and simmer on this very low heat, COVERED with a lid, for 10-15 minutes).
Uncover, fluff with a fork and check for tenderness. If it's still a little tough, add 1/8-1/4 cup of water and keep it on number 2 until the grain is tender (tender; not mushy or sticky).
At this point, sprinkle some extra virgin olive oil on top ( maybe 1-2 tablespoonfuls, depending on taste), fluff and serve.
You can eat this rice all by itself. It' so good!
(I use Mahatma Long Grain Jasmine Rice by personal choice, but you can use any rice that is long grain, so it won't get sticky and starchy). I have a really nice rice cooker but prefer to make my white rice the traditional way, just as I described it here. Hope you like it.

Thank you Pedro, I'll be trying it this way soon! 

9 comments:

  1. Thanks, I'll try it this way. My rice cooker broke so now I have to learn to make rice all over again...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, thank you Pedro! Rice is my weakness in the kitchen. Mine comes out alright-its definitely tasty, but never the consistency I would like. I will definitely try it this way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got hungry just reading my own tip! Yum! Thanks, Ivonne, for posting it. It's pretty much a tasty and fail-safe way to make white rice. Love and kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my house it's 1 cup rice long grain mahatma (is using that), and 1 1/2 cups water with 1 tsp. of olive oil per cup and 1/2 tsp. salt per cup.

    Like 3 cups rice, we use 4 1/2 cups liquid and about 2 tablespoons olive oil, and 1 tsp. salt.

    we do wash the rice at least once and drain.

    Usually we use new crop jasmine rice and that's about equal water to rice though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome Nathan. I don't know much about cooking rice, but I think that when the rice is washed it requires less water to cook??? Is this correct?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No you wash the rice it doesn't come out too sticky or because some people are scared that it may not be sanitized properly.

    I'll make a post if you want on making "ideal" white rice. I'll help you :)

    (1) Look first let's talk about water, regular long-grain rice like Mahatma, Blue Ribbon, stuff like that need 1 1/2 cups water for every 1 cup rice. ALWAYS USE THAT RATIO it will work out.

    (2) white jasmine rice uses equal water to rice. Specially "new crop" jasmine rice. This is because the rice is "newley" harvested usually, and has a higher moisture content thus needing less water. Jasmine rice from November to Febuary uses equal water to rice, from March- June uses 1 cup rice 1 1/4 cups water, from July to October 1 cup rice and 1 1/2 cups water. I know Cubans that use Jasmine rice they buy at Asian stores usually "Buddha brand" or "Three Ladies" that are new crop. However if you buy Mahatma brand it's always the older Jasmine rice so still use 1 cup rice and 1 1/2 cup water.

    (3) Okay so are you making it in a rice cooker or on stove top? If using rice cooker, put your raw rice in the rice cooker pot, put it under the sink and stream in the water swooshing in a round motion with your hand, when it fills almost to the top with water, drain teh water out, if you wish use a strainer get it all out. One time is enough some people do it three times. Now depending how much rice u used add the water (let's say you did 2 cups Mahatma long grain rice then add 3 cups water), add the salt, then add the oil. Give it a quick stir. Place the pot in rice cooker and cover and follow rice cooker directions. When it beeeps and it's done just fluff rice and it's ready.

    (4) Now if doing stove top, clean your rice, drain, put it in the pot, cover with water, add salt and oil. Bring to a rolling boil, give a quick stir. Cover and reduce heat to low, leave it alone for 20- 25 minutes. WHen done turn off heat and fluff.

    It's really easy :)I know some Cubans like to add garlic and stuff, but making it plain and simple is good cuz our sauces and food are already flavorful and sometimes garlicky so yeah :)

    If you ever have any questions or anything feel free to email me I am willing to help :) email me at:

    nathanscooking@yahoo.com

    P.S.

    It makes me really really to know that there are other Cubans blogging and sharing this wonderful cuisine with other's and it makes me happy to know that there are people out there who care to preserve it :) keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Buy white rice online in India, the most selling organic basmati rice in India. It is always considered that brown rice has more benefits than white rice but it is not true.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am very enjoyed for this blog. Its an informative topic. It help me very much to solve some problems. Its opportunity are so fantastic and working style so speedy. I think it may be help all of you. Thanks.
    long grain rice

    ReplyDelete