Monday, May 31, 2010

Coquitos: Mini Coconut Balls


I had about 8 oz of grated coconut in syrup leftover from when I made the pastelitos de coco, so I decided to make coconut balls or coquitos.  I've never made these before, and I had a hard time finding a recipe.  (Coquitos are better known as an eggnog like beverage from Puerto Rico.)  Either way I found a recipe for coco quemado but that is not what I wanted, so I combined a couple of different suggestions from different recipes and this is what I came up with. It's very simple. And they tasted very good.

Strain your coconut. Put the syrup in a sauce pan and the grated coconut in another. Add 1 teaspoon of sugar to the grated coconut and a half teaspoon of vanilla extract. Stir these ingredients over medium heat until most of the liquid has reduced. With a melon baller form your coconut balls and place them on a greased cookie sheet. Place them in a 375 preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes until they start to brown on the bottom. I later turned on the broiler for just about 3 minutes to brown the tops.

While your coconut balls are in the oven, add a teaspoon of sugar to your syrup and cook on medium heat to thicken. (I know it's syrup, it's already thick... thicken it more.) Sprinkle the syrup with a spoon over your baked coquitos and let cool.



No comments:

Post a Comment