Monday, May 3, 2010

Ensalada Rusa: Russian Potato & Egg Salad

I came across this recipe searching for something new to make, and it sounded very familiar. I'm pretty sure that my grandmother used to make this.

There are five main ingredients: potatoes, carrots, sweet peas, hard boiled eggs, mayonnaise

In doing some research I found that this basic recipe varies greatly. Ingredients that can be added are: beets, tuna, olives, green beans, asparagus, apples and sweet corn

I'm sticking with the basic salad plus olives.

The proportions are:
4 medium potatoes, peeled, cubed and boiled
4 large carrots, scraped, cubed and boiled
4 large eggs, hard boiled and chopped
1 cup drained cannet sweet peas
1 cup mayonnaise
half a dozen pimento stuffed olives, sliced
a dash of paprika
salt and pepper to taste

I'm going to cut this recipe in half, since this is not something that will keep for too long.  There's not much for instructions, once you've chopped, sliced and boiled, you need only assemble.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmm! My mom would make this all the time growing up. She would usually add beets to it. I make it now, too. I've never had it with olives, though. I'll have to make it again and add some. So yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandmother used to make her chicken salad similar to this and she would add apples. The apples were my favorite part. I may try it that way, check back soon.

    ReplyDelete