Thursday, April 1, 2010

Yuca Frita: Yucca Fries


Hmmm, it seems like my last few posts have been all about fried food. I say why stop now? Let's make YUCCA FRIES.

Yuca (cassava) is a white starchy tropical root widely consumed in Afrida, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean. Yuca is firmer than potatoes and starchier and can easily be substituted for potatoes in soups and stews. It is usually boiled or steamed, but also fried as chips or in thicker chunks (as shown here), and eaten as a substitute for french fries.

I have been able to find fresh yuca here in the summer, but more often than not, I find it in frozen packages. I am making my yuca frita from frozen, but I am placing a picture here of what it looks like fresh. If you find it fresh, you must first peal it and cut it into large chunks before boiling.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the yuca and boil until tender (when you can easily slide a fork into it). Strain the yuca and let cool on a paper towels to absord the moisture.  Remove the woody center by slicing the cooled yuca vertically. Cut your yuca into thick strips.


While the yuca is cooling we will prepare a mojo. 
To the juice of 2 limes (you can use lemons) add 2-4 cloves of pressed garlic and 1 tsp salt. Stir. Set aside.

Heat enough oil to deep fry your yuca strips. Fry the yuca in batches until they reach a golden brown. Place on a paper towel lined plate and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Hold in a warm oven while you fry the remaining batches.

You can now sprinkle the hot fried yuca with the mojo, or serve the mojo on the side for dipping.

3 comments:

  1. Ok, you have to stop doing this to me!!! I'm trying to loose some weight for when I turn 50 in December and you are making that goal very difficult!!! Guess I'm gonna have to follow in Kirstey Alley's footsteps and get my own "fat" show on Spanish-language television called "My BIG FAT Cuban Life"... In the meantime, I better tend to my boniatos fritos before they burn to a cinder! Hugs, kisses and happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete