Saturday, April 3, 2010

Merenguitos


I made Señoritas (see post below) which required 3 egg yolks. "Do  you want an egg white omelet?" I asked my husband. "No." Okay then I will have to make merengue.  I had never made merengue before, and I was surprised at how easy it was.

3 large egg whites, room temperature
Pinch of Salt
3/4 cup sugar
Baking parchment, sprayed lightly with PAM (I didn't have parchment so I placed them on aluminum foil. Worked okay.)

With an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until they reach the soft-peak stage. Add a pinch of salt and continue to beat. Add a small amount of sugar at a time until you've incorporated all of the sugar into the mixture. Don't be afraid to dip your pinky finger in there for a taste, there's no chance to add sugar once they're baked. The mixture should reach the stiff peak stage (test by scooping some onto a spoon or fork and when turned upside down it doesn't fall off).

Scoop dollops of merengue onto your parchment leaving space between them for expansion.

Bake merengues at 200° F for approximately two hours. The meringues should be dry and crispy,  not brown.

3 comments:

  1. Hey...this was really good...thanks for the recipe. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I could be of service Tiffany.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw another one where you bake for 300 for 25 minutes it's less time and comes out just as good.

    ReplyDelete