Thursday, May 27, 2010

Pastelitos de Coco


This is so simple, I'm almost embarrased to post it. I love coconut, but my husband won't eat it and neither will my daughter, so when I bought a 17 oz can of Grated Coconut in syrup I had to think up ideas. Pastelitos de coco are readily available in Cuban bakeries which means I'm out of luck.  It was difficult just finding the coconut in syrup. Anyway, I still have at least 1/2 of the coconut in the fridge now, so I'll soon be making something else.

For these pastelitos:
1 box Pepperidge Farm puff pastry sheets
grated coconut in syrup
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water

Spread out one defrosted pastry sheet and cut in three along the folds. Cut those in half. You should have 6 pieces. Brush your sheet pieces along the edges with your egg. With a slotted spoon (you don't want much of the syrup) scoop about three tablespoons worth of the coconut onto the center of  3 of the pieces. Top with the remaing pieces. Press along the edges.  Repeat these steps with the second pastry sheet. Place on a cookie sheet sprayed with a non-stick spray. Brush more egg on the tops and place in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes (I really didn't time it, so keep an eye on it). In the meantime, melt the sugar in the water on low. Brush this atop the pastelitos when you take them out of the oven. Decadent!

5 comments:

  1. Yummy! I love coconut and I'm lucky that my husband and daughter like it too. I have a simple dessert similar using guava paste and cream cheese. I felt the same way about posting it, but I like seeing yours, so maybe I still will. Now I need to look for that grated coconut in syrup! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do it Lyndsey. Many people think there's some complicated trick to this and are happily relieved when they see it's so simple ... As long as you don't have to make your own pastry dough, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want me some of that! YUMMMMM!!!! Love anything coconut and these pastelitos look amazing! I could have 3-4 just about now... Hugs and kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Que RICO!!!!! I love anything coconut too I'll have to try it soon :)

    I love love fresh young coconut juice, freshly squeezed coconut milk, chopped up mature coconut with chili, lime n salt, any type of stew that's coconut milk based, coconut oil in certain baked goods, etc. I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT Haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy to find this blog! Is this authentic? At least Miami style authentic?

    ReplyDelete