Monday, August 8, 2011

Crab and Corn Cakes



I live in corn country. My husband was driving out by the countryside last weekend and came across a stand by a farmhouse: 4 ears of fresh sweet corn for $1. He came home with 16 ears! Needless to say, I had to get creative.

2 ears of cooked corn, kernels cut off
1 can of lump crab meat (I threw out the can, I think it was about 6 oz.)
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 egg
1 tablespoon of mayonnaise
1 tsp of chopped chives
1 tsp of parsley
salt and pepper

Mix all your ingredients in a bowl and let them sit for a few minutes in the refrigerator. Take about a tablespoon's worth of the mixture and form a ball. Drizzle a baking pan with olive oil and place 4 balls at a time in your pan. Gently press them down into a patty with a spatula, turning them until the brown on both sides.


3 comments:

  1. Make Majarete (super easy, blend the kernels from 5 raw corn ears with 2 big ass cucharadas de maizena, 1 tsp. vanilla extract, 5-6 cups milk, sugar to taste maybe 1/2 cup, after blend pass through a strainer into a pot, and heat it up over medium high or high heat with 1 cinnamon stick stirring constantly until it bubbles and thickens :)

    Super easy Cuban dessert right? (alot of Cubans think Majarete is so complicated but it's as easy as flan n stuff)

    Ummmm "Tamal Cubano" or "Tamal en Cazuela" using the fresg corn (if you make tamal Cubano check out the recipe from the blog "My Cuban Traumas" or use the one from "3 guys Miami" they thicken it with Masa Harina/ Maseca" which in my opinion is the best way)

    Kk i'll get back to u <3 ya n miss ur blog posts :) I'ma go big out at Portos now lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Nathan! I've never had majarete, but I have been wanting to make tamales. I'll check out the posts you recommend. Eat a pastelito for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love crab cakes but have never tried them with corn mixed in. They look so good! I just came back from Illinois and we had the most wonderful fresh, and buttery, corn on the cob. It's just not the same as the ones we get at Publix!

    ReplyDelete