Friday, April 8, 2011

Jiffy Hush Puppies


I've had this package of Jiffy corn muffins in the pantry for a while, and since I was going to make batter-fried fish tonight I thought I'd take it out and transform it from muffins to hush puppies which would go better with the fish. Here's what I did, and they turned out very well...

1 package Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 egg
Oil for frying

Mix all these ingredients together in a bowl. Heat the oil and Drop the batter 1 teaspoon at a time, into the oil. Fry until golden brown, turning the hushpuppies during the cooking process. Transfer to paper towel lined plate.

10 comments:

  1. They look yummy! I've never had homemade hush puppies, but I've always loved them and always wanted to learn how to make them. I'm going to try these soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sharline, nice to hear from you! I was just frying up the rest of the batch right now. They were very easy to make and it yielded about 25 of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look so good. How perfect to make your own. My mom used to make corn pancakes from Jiffy corn muffin mix when we were kids. that's the only pancakes I would eat. I have to try your hush puppies...I have a box of Jiffy ready to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ivonne you should share the batter fried fish too :D those frituras look good i'll have to try em sometime if i get ahold of some Jiffy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look light and crispy! I've never tried Jiffy cornbread for fritters—that's brilliant.

    In any event, I'm tickled to have found your blog; looking over your recipes has taken me back so many years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments everyone.

    Welcome to the blog Marysol, I hope it can be of service to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ivonne, I know it's been awhile since you posted but I tagged you in a 5 recipes to Celebrate Easter. It's an easy way to post just bring back some past recipes! Hope you are doing well!

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We tried. The oil temp must've been off. They were kind of flat & greasy. We're going to try putting in the fridge next time to stiffen the batter & roll into ball with flour or more cornmeal. Any suggestions on the oil temp?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Going to try these in the air fryer! Mostly because we don’t have enough oil 😬

    ReplyDelete
  10. This recipe was easy and surprisingly good. My grand daughter loved them she called them happy puppies

    ReplyDelete