Sunday, January 2, 2011

Yellow Rice with Vegetables


There are infinite variations of yellow rice. This time I had a package of frozen vegetables that had been sitting in the freezer for a while and were aching to be thawed. I'm no expert at making rice, which is embarrassing for a Cuban woman. This batch turned out well.

1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
2 cups thawed mixed vegetables
5 cups water
2 cups long grain white rice
1/2 tsp Bijol (annato)
1/2 tsp paprika

salt
olive oil

In a large pot sautee your onions, garlic and pepper in olive oil. Add your mixed vegetables, add the water and the spices. Add your rice. Stir. Bring to a boil. Immediately reduce the heat to low and cover your pot. In about 15 minutes check the rice, if the water has absorbed and the rice is hard add a little more water. Check for taste; I usually add more salt and olive oil at this point. Stir. Check back again in about 10 minutes. It should be done by then.

6 comments:

  1. This looks so good! The last time I tried making rice with veggies it was ok but not the way I imagined. I need to try it your way! I also made papas rellenas yesterday. I took some pictures and I plan to post it on my blog. I didn't follow your exact recipe, but I totally used your technique. I've always wanted to make them but had no clue until you posted it. Oh man, they were sooo good! I made a dipping sauce for them out of ketchup and cholula brand hot sauce. It was heaven! Thanks for awesome posts! Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year Sharline! So glad I could be of help with your papas rellenas. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious, Ivonne. I think I can tweak the cook time and allow for the brown rice to cook. I'm afraid that at home, I no longer cook white long grain rice. But it should work the same, right?
    Wishing you the best for the new year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks good, I like using veggie that are in the freezer just waiting to be used. I can't believe you're not an expert rice maker :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maria, I rarely cook brown rice. Brown rice with veggie sounds really good. You can skip the bijol and paprika if you wish. As far as the ratio of water to rice??? I don't know. As you say you'll have to tweak it.

    Lyndsey, making rice for me is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get! HAH!

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sort of shocked it wasn't all "asopao" when you used like 5 cups water for 2 cups regular white rice... Usually for that I use 3 cups water for 2 cups because you know most Cubans like it "desgranado"

    ReplyDelete