Friday, June 11, 2010

Empanada de Pollo Horneada: Baked Chicken Empanada



I remember years ago when we would have some sort of party at the house, my mother would order an empanada from the bakery. These cuban empanadas were pie size, not the fold-over kind that usually pops to mind. These pie-like empanadas were usually meat filled and served in wedges along with bocaditos and other party fare.




Before we start, I would like to thank all of you who gave me recipes for empanada dough the last time I made meat empanadas using Goya discs.  Considering that I am dieting, specifically on a low cholesterol diet, I decided to go with Nathan's empanada dough which requires olive oil and not butter. Please click here.

Following his instructions:
1 cup olive oil
1 cup water
1 tsp salt
2 tsp sweet smoked paprika (optional)
5 cups all purpose flour


In a large pot mix oil, water, salt, and sweet smoked Spanish paprika. Stir and bring to a simmer. When it starts to bubble turn off the burner and add your flour mixing it with a wooden spoon. At this point I removed the dough from the pot and kneaded it with my hands to form a ball, then I returned it to the warm pot and kneaded it further. This dough does not need refrigeration. Actually it is more pliable warm and you do not need to flour a surface to roll it out. Keep it in a ziplock bag while you work a bit of it at a time.


For the pie size empanada, take about a third of the of the dough and place it on a clean working surface, roll it out to the thickness of pie dough. Roll out a size larger than your pie pan, place this on the bottom and add your filling. Repeat for the top and cover. Crimp edges with your fingers. Cut four slits on top and brush with an egg wash.



For smaller fold-over empanadas, take a handful of the dough and place it on a clean working surface, roll it out to the thickness of pie dough. Choose a large round shape (I used an empty shipped cream tub), and cut the pie dough with a knife around it.  Add your filling; don't be skimpy, fold over and crimp the edges with a fork.

Place in a 375 degree oven for about 30 minutes

There are limitless possibilities for filling the empanadas,  I went with chicken. 

1 lb chicken breast, diced
1 small onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 green bell pepper, diced
1 medium sized potato, diced
1 carrot, diced
7-8 pimento stuffed olives, diced
salt / pepper / oregano / dash of cumin / dash of paprika
1 tbsp. tomato paste
1 bouillon chicken broth
1 cup water
 olive oil

2 hard boiled eggs, cubed

Sautee your onions, garlic, and pepper in olive oil, add your chicken and spices and cook through. Add your potatoes, carrots and olives, water and bouillon. Cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender. Let cool. Spoon in your filling and sprinkle with boiled eggs on top.

2 comments:

  1. How did you like teh empanada dough? was it good? I usually use it for the small empanadas that go in the oven "Empanadillas" love how it comes out.

    For the giant one's "EMpanadas Gallegas" I use an olive oil based dough that has yeast, the texture is kinda different.

    I learned the dough for the giant one's from "Pilar Lechuza" a Galician woman.

    http://www.lacocinadelechuza.com/search/label/Empanadas%20y%20empanadillas

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was very tasty Nathan. I served it to guests on Friday and they enjoyed it. I made smaller ones as well. I will check out the link. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete