Monday, April 5, 2010

Bocaditos: Finger Sandwiches

We've all arrived at our present destination via the decisions we've made in life.  It's astounding how two simple words led me on a thirty-year-long path of sleep deprivation, physical flagellation, mental debilitation, moral degradation and artistic suffocation.  Those two words were I do.  No, no, it wasn't the answer to that question. The question was "Do you want a job in advertising as a graphic designer?"  I do.

When I started out, I didn't have a car.  Working in Miami Beach and living over 20 miles away, I had to make two bus transfers followed by a mile walk to get home.  My boss would sometimes give me a ride to my halfway point.  As has always been the norm in downtown Miami, there are countless of homeless people who live under the overpasses of the expressways.  My boss would point and say, "That's what happens to old ad men."  I would chuckle, but believe me, ad men (and women) really are madmen.  It's the relentless deadlines and the unreasonable, inconsiderate, narcissist demands of the clients, and more importantly the biting of ones tongue that brings us to our demise.

But this blog is about food. So where am I going with this? For those of us who cannot speak our minds for fear of losing our income, I suggest we present those who annoy us and make our lives so impossible with the subliminal finger... the Finger Sandwich, that is.

To make a traditional finger sandwich make sure you choose thinly sliced bread of a tight grain. (Unlike what I used in the picture which was a soft white). Cut away all crusts, apply your spread and cut each sandwich into thirds to ensure that fingers alone can perform the task of lifting to mouth.

For the spread we start with a  base of
8 oz. cream cheese
3 - 4 heaping tablespoons of mayonnaise
1/2 cup pimento stuffed olives, chopped

Add
6 - 8 oz canned
ham  or deviled ham or tuna or salmon or chicken

Mix all ingredients until smooth

The Cuban bocadito sandwich which one orders at bakeries for parties is made with small sweet rolls (I substitute the Hawaiian sweet rolls found at any grocery) and ham spread.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, I was looking for this recipe. I am glad you had it. My Mom used to make these sandwiches for our birthdays. I didn't know how to make them. I wanted to make them for my grand daughter's second birthday. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I could be of help Barbara!

    ReplyDelete