Sunday, April 25, 2010

Batter Fried Fish

I'm going on a diet starting tomorrow. As the Rolling Stones sang... what a drag it is getting old.  I used to be able to eat almost anything and maintain my weight. No more. This is it! No more fried food for a while.

I started out with 6 Tilapia fillets. I had never heard of this fish before I moved up here, but it appears to be quite common and is quite suitable for frying.  I seasoned the fillets with lemon, salt and pepper. I kind of eyeballed it for the batter but I mixed about 3/4 cup Aunt Jemima pancake mix (I had it sitting out from yesterday's experiment), about 1 cup flour, 1/2 tablespoon baking soda, 1 egg and 1 cup water (more or less) – you can substitute beer.

Into the heated oil they went. We ate them with a little tartar sauce, and Ensalada Guacamola on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment