Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Venison Chili


A lot of people up here hunt deer. Friends and relatives are always offering us deer meat. Being unfamiliar with it, I wasn't sure what to make with it. Everyone seems to make chili, so I thought I'd give it a try.  I've made chili many times using beef hamburger, but I'm not a big fan, and I'm no expert. One bowl a year is good for me, but the weather has been unusually cold, and I had this ground venizon in the freezer.... chili it is. This is how I prepared it:

1 1/2 lbs ground venizon (not really sure how much it was, I estimating)
3 strips bacon
4 cups chili beans (I used canned)
4 - 6 oz tomato paste
2 cups diced tomatoes
6-8 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
2-3 medium sized onions, chopped
2 cups beef stock (or 2 cups water and bouillon)
1 bay leaf
hot sauce (to your liking)
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil
cheddar cheese (optional)

Everyone told me that deer meat is very lean (too lean) and that I should combine it with regular ground beef or sausage. I thought that defeated the purpose, so I ignored them, but there was a nagging thought that I should add some sort of "fat" so I cooked three strips of bacon, removed them when crisp and browned my venizon in the bacon fat. Okay, so in a large pot saute your onions and garlic in olive oil, add your cooked venizon and all other ingredients, stir and simmer for about half an hour to let the flavors meld. Serve in a bowl and sprinkle with cheddar cheese.

2 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to learn to make chili for awhile and I have a pretty good idea, I had a delicious black bean chili at an upscale restuarant with small bite sizes of filet mignon in it, topped with shredded cheese and minced onion.

    It's like an "American Potaje" I guess ha ha.

    I'm going to learn to make it from scratch this winter (I want to make one using a certain ratio of red and black beans, use a sofrito with celery that has tomato wedges, that has ground beef or bite sized of thin sirloin steak or a ratio of both, seasoned with salt, cumin and a chili powder made from scratch that combines Spanish sweet smoked paprika maybe I'll use the hard to get "Pimenton Picante de La Vera", serve it in a shallow bowl with shredded cheese and minced onion. On the side some sourdough toast with melted cheddar????

    I don't know I've never made it or cooked it, that's just how I imagine I would make it ha ha.

    Btw I believe the Venison you'd be able to cook it like a "Potaje" if it's not ground just in chunks, or you could make a Venison Picadillo it would be very lean but you can add a good amount of olive oil and tomato for richness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love venison, but never had it made this way. I gotta try this, 'cause it looks delicious. There is a restaurant on the Malibu Hills named The Saddle Peak Lodge where they serve all kinds of exotic and game meats, including venison. I haven't been there in a couple of years, but whenever I went, I would usually have venison in different ways. Gotta go back and see if the place is still as good as I remember it. XOXOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete