Thursday, October 21, 2010

Never the Same Thing Twice


It's almost impossible to replicate a recipe exactly. Even recipes that you've made hundreds of times will vary with each rendition. There are many elements that can alter your dish: the quality of the ingredients, the amount of ingredient, spices at hand (do we really measure these?), cooking time, even our mood can affect the outcome. I once knew a woman who owned a restaurant; she wouldn't cook if she was in a bad mood. She said the negative energy would permeate the food and drive her customers away. (She didn't see the irony in not cooking and thus driving customers away, but that's beside the point.)

This conundrum is particularly true with home made spaghetti sauce. It's never the same twice. I'm not even going to tell you how I made this particular batch, because I wasn't even thinking about it, but I did take pictures and what the heck? I haven't posted in a few days and I'll throw in the pictures for fun!



3 comments:

  1. Great inspiration photos. I was wondering what to do with my thawed ground beef!
    Thanks also for your kind comments in my blog and I hope you have a great day.
    cariños,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true about not measuring spices. When I try to replicate my Mom's recipe it NEver tastes as good as hers. When I call her to get the recipe, we all know her response. a little of this, a pinch of that. And so that's how I have learned to cook. Maybe that's why I don't post many recipes, it's hard work to measure everything! LOL

    we have this saying, 'if food is too salty' means the cook was very happy!

    have you heard this before?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe we need to keep the cooks a little unhappy, lest we get salty food! LOL... I never heard that before.

    ReplyDelete