Sunday, September 19, 2010

Diet Update

Some of you may be wondering what ever happened to my diet. Well with every story there's the good, the bad and the ugly.

The good:  I lowered my cholesterol 40 points without the use of prescriptions or supplements.
The bad: My cholesterol is still very high at over 260 ... yes you can do the math.
The ugly: I still have a muffin top that protrudes over my jeans. (And you thought I wasn't going to mention food).

Bottom line, I've been stuck at 165 lbs for about 3 months now. It's been mostly my fault for lack of exercise. Fretting about it, crying over it or praying I will wake up thin won't do me any good.... I just gotta move!

P.S. My high cholesterol is hereditary, it's NOT from eating Cuban food. :-)

4 comments:

  1. Yup yup it's not from eating Cuban food 100% (seriously some people think all we eat is fried food and lechon all the time but that's not the case for most of us)

    Our high cosumption of garlic, olive oil, fruit, plantains, onions, tomatoes etc. and braised dishes are often over looked

    anyways here's a friendly suggestion to help you lower your cholesterol (minus the pills/ subscriptions) this may be tedious for you or not, but eat 1/2- 1 cup of beans everyday (like make a healthy Cuban black bean stew, no bacon n stuff, just a good sofrito made with olive oil, and spices, etc. you know you can do this with red beans too just add tomato to the sofrito) the soluble fiber in the beans help lower your cholesterol because it binds to the bile acids that help form cholesterol, and a lot of studies have shown beans and stuff lower your risk of heart disease (just research it or take my work for it lol.) but yeah, incorporating it into your daily diet will be a good thing.

    If it gives you gas (because some people who arent use to eating beans sometimes dont have the enzymes to digest certain starches in them) then take something like "Beano" (which will give u the enzyme so u don't get gassy)

    not to mention a lot of beans taste really delicious and the black beans and reds are full of antioxidants.

    And if you get bored of the cuban style beans and stuff, send me an email, I have other recipes for preparing beans that i have yet to post on my blog (seriously you've probably noticed I have a legume love affair i post bean/ legume based recipes so often ha ha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information Nathan. I don't eat beans too often, but I'm willing to give it a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No pity parties! :-) I know you can do it! You know you can do it! **hugs**

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never a pity party Sharline. I just need to suck it up, or should I say suck it in and just do it! Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete