Friday, June 25, 2010

Garbanzo Frito

I'm not too sure how to describe this dish. It is called garbanzo frito which translates to fried chick peas even though the chick peas are not fried; actually non of it is fried. It resembles a stew but with less liquid. I think we should just call it delicious!

My guest contributor, Jenny, who prepared this dish for us says: I usually make this as an appetizer, although it is pretty great over white rice! Here is the recipe for a large amount; although it never seems to be enough!

Ingredients:
Olive Oil
2 Onions, chopped
1 whole Garlic Head, chopped
1 Green Pepper, chopped
6 Spanish Chorizos (Don Quixote)
Ham (One of those little ones they sell in the meat department) diced
Vino Seco (dry white wine)
2 - 15 oz cans Tomato sauce
2 or 3 large cans Garbanzo beans

Preparation:Make a "sofrito" by coating the bottom of a large pan or pot with olive oil, add the onions, garlic and peppers. Sautee at medium high heat. Peel and dice the chorizo and add to the pot. Peel and dice the ham and add to the pot. Allow to cook for 5 – 10 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and the garbanzos (strain the liquid).  Use one of the tomato sauce cans and add one can of vino seco. Cook uncovered for about 30 minutes at medium heat.

I tend not to season the garbanzos because the meat is salty. Taste them and you may want to add a little salt or pepper. I like to add some crushed red pepper for a little kick.

Serve with chips or over white rice & ENJOY!

8 comments:

  1. Interesting that it has the name Frito, yet not fried. I love love garbanzo beans, I can eat them plain on a salad, or just with lemon and chile. Good protein source.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, Yvonne, the "garbanzos fritos" that I know are indeed fried in pork lard or olive oil with garlic and lacón (ham hocks) pieces and sliced chorizo at the end of the entire process and are almost devoid of any moisture, with the consistency of a very thick, chunky paste, just a tad drier than mashed potatoes... My mother used to call them "molletas" and would also make "molletas" with judías (white beans). I think this dish might have its origin in Galicia. Wherever it is from, it's delicious and there was a restaurant in La Habana Vieja (Old Havana) named El Baturro, where they used to make the best "molletas" right after those of my mother and paternal grandmother. And in Miami, they make kind of a similar dish at Las Culebrinas restaurant, with mixed results depending on what location makes it (Hialeah, at this time, being the best). Hugs and have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually the "garbanzos fritos" is usually how Jenny showed it here. I call it "Guiso de Garbanzos Con CHorizo"

    http://nathanscomida.blogspot.com/2010/04/garbanzos-fritos-cuban-chickpea-sausage.html

    But yeah I know what Pedro is talking about when he say's "Molleta" I have a post for it:

    http://nathanscomida.blogspot.com/2008/08/munyeta-y-sopa-de-fideos-munyeta-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks good anyway! I would love it over rice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the picture looks more like guiso de garbanzo than garbanzo frito (which are actually fried sort of)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cristie, I can't begin to tell one way or another since this was done by my cousin who was visiting from Miami, and that is what she called it, but I will look into other recipes to compare. Thanks for the input.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mother made munyeta with garbanzos, chorizos, onion, garlic, olive oil, and after the thick paste was complete, then she fried it moving the paste around the skillet. My father was from Galicia so I believe that munyeta is gallega.

    ReplyDelete